Monday, August 10, 2015

Interview with Christine Amsden (Madison's Song)






















Why did you pursue writing?

I didn't; writing pursued me! It's in my soul, I think. I've been writing short stories since I was a little girl and though there have been ups and downs throughout my writing life, I can't seem to *not* write!

What inspired your book?

Madison's Song is a spin-off from my popular Cassie Scot series. Madison was supposed to have been a minor character in that series. I came up with her one day as I was writing the first book, thinking, “Okay, Cassie needs a couple of friends. Names … names … oh yeah, my mom hinted strongly that I should name my daughter Madison and I pretended not to notice that's what she was doing! Still, it's a nice enough name. Madison it is!” And so Madison was born. But both she and another friend of Cassie's, Kaitlin, refused to stay in the background where I initially put them. By the time I finished the Cassie Scot series, it was clear to me that Madison and Kaitlin each deserved their own stories.

How long have you been publishing your work?

My first book was published in 2006. Madison's Song is lucky #7!

What’s your writing environment like?

Hmmm … I'm in my office, sitting at a large mahogany desk. The papers that usually accumulate there have recently been cleaned up so that I can safely light my candles again. I've got vanilla, cinnamon, and jasmine at the moment. I've got a little fan on my desk since my office is at the top of the house and it gets hot up here. 

Sometimes when I'm writing a rough draft, I have to set all of this aside and go somewhere – to a coffee shop or the gym or a library or anywhere but here. 

What projects are you currently working on?

Honestly … nothing. I'm taking a break. I recently finished Kaitlin's Tale, which will be released next year, and in the meantime I find myself needing to step away for a while. I know that's not the answer readers like to hear! But if it makes you feel better, I did the exact same thing before I came up with Cassie Scot, which has turned out to be my best and most popular work. Writers are artists, and we suffer burnout from time to time. The only way I know to get back in touch with my muse is to stop putting pressure on her for a little while and have faith that when it's right, she'll return to me. :)

Thanks for having me here today! 





Author Bio

Christine Amsden has been writing science fiction and fantasy for as long as she can remember. She loves to write and it is her dream that others will be inspired by this love and by her stories. Speculative fiction is fun, magical, and imaginative but great speculative fiction is about real people defining themselves through extraordinary situations. Christine writes primarily about people and it is in this way that she strives to make science fiction and fantasy meaningful for everyone.
At the age of 16, Christine was diagnosed with Stargardt’s Disease, a condition that affects the retina and causes a loss of central vision. She is now legally blind, but has not let this slow her down or get in the way of her dreams. (You can learn more here.)
In addition to writing, Christine teaches workshops on writing at Savvy Authors. She also does some freelance editing work.
Christine currently lives in the Kansas City area with her husband, Austin, who has been her biggest fan and the key to her success. They have two beautiful children, Drake and Celeste.
Follow the author:

Website
Blog
Twitter

Purchase Links:

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for hosting! I'm always happy to answer follow-up questions, if anyone has them. :)

    ReplyDelete