Sunday, August 16, 2015

Interview with Laura Lee (Identity Theft)






















Why did you pursue writing?

It is both the path of least resistance and one of the hardest career paths I can imagine. I am a firm believer that people fall into niches based on what they can naturally do. I was born into a writing family. When you discover you have a bit of a skill, people start to encourage you and then you practice it more and put more work into it and eventually that small difference grows into a big one. 


What inspired your book?

The big idea behind it was how we present our selves in everyday life. The idea for a book about a fan who mistakenly believes she is writing to her favorite rock star goes back a long way-- to the early days of the internet. Back when relating to people online was novel, I wanted to write a novel that dealt with fan communities and how the online and offline worlds intersected. That idea never really got off the ground. Then a couple of years ago I saw Adam Ant in concert. He had been my favorite pop star when I was in junior high school and seeing him, I started to think about how magical rock stars were back then. That brought me back to the idea of the internet novel, and I found I had a new perspective on it and enough momentum to finish it. 


How long have you been publishing your work?

My first book was put out by Pelican Publishing in 1999.


What’s your writing environment like?

Half of the year I am on the road with my ballet project. So at the moment, my writing environment is a series of hotels. I carry small notebooks with me so I can jot down those ideas that come while I'm driving. When we are not on the road, I have a home office with shelves full of books. I sometimes go to the library to walk the stacks and to write or I take my laptop to the local park. 


What projects are you currently working on?

The second edition of my first novel Angel is due to be released by DSP on November 10. I recently finished a book called Savior Faire about foreign phrases used in English. It is in the editing stage at the publisher now and I am working on a book proposal for a non-fiction book, a work of historical research.



Author Bio

Laura Lee is the author of 14 books. She is best known for her non-fiction with such publishers as Reader's Digest, Harper Collins, Running Press and Broadway Books. Her first novel Angel was published in 2011, released in an audio edition last year and will be published in a second edition later this year. She has also written two collections of poetry, and a children’s book (A Child’s Introduction to Ballet). She brings to her writing a unique background as a radio announcer, improvisational comic and one-time professional mime and she divides her time between writing and organizing national ballet master class tours. The San Francisco Chronicle said of her work, “Lee’s dry, humorous tone makes her a charming companion… She has a penchant for wordplay that is irresistible.”

Twitter: @LauraLeeAuthor





No comments:

Post a Comment