Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Interview with Doug Piotter Author of Fixed

What inspired you to tell your story?
Being 22 years sober, I have a fairly good perspective on what an absurd life I have lived and believed others may enjoy going down with my ship from the comfort of their easy chair. Also, scores of people have said, “you should write a book”, so I finally said, “o.k. o.k., don’t yell at me”, and caved in.
Which actor would you like to play you in a book to film project of Fixed?
I would have to say Sean Penn because he plays both sketchy and upright with equal passion.
How long have you been publishing your work?
Fixed, in 2015, is the first of what I hope to be many published works.
What does your writing environment look like?
Most of my manuscript was written in the middle of the night at home. I would pop up out of bed with a thought that needed to be captured. I also often write in cafe’s where I can observe the complexities of human behaviors.
Do you have any routines to help you write?
I generally go through the routine of telling myself how inadequate I am as a writer and try to make a list of all the reasons why I shouldn’t write. After staring at that blank page for what seems an eternity, I crank out something that squashes all my darkest fears of sucking and that becomes the foundation of a story.
Author Bio:
After two decades of reckless behavior, gripping drug addiction and petty crime evolving into bank robbery ended on the day he started a 115-month prison sentence in 1993. He has been clean and sober and crime-free ever since, a remarkable turnaround against long odds that such a change was possible. Upon his release, Piotter built a successful construction company and became an active member of his recovery community. He lives in Seattle with his wife, artist Terrell Lozada.
Links:
Twitter: @dougpiotter

No comments:

Post a Comment