Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Book Review: Faking Normal by Courtney C. Stevens

Book Description: 

"Alexi Littrell hasn't told anyone what happened to her over the summer. Ashamed and embarrassed, she hides in her closet and compulsively scratches the back of her neck, trying to make the outside hurt more than the inside does.

When Bodee Lennox, the quiet and awkward boy next door, comes to live with the Littrells, Alexi discovers an unlikely friend in "the Kool-Aid Kid," who has secrets of his own. As they lean on each other for support, Alexi gives him the strength to deal with his past, and Bodee helps her find the courage to finally face the truth." -Goodreads

Book Review: 

Faking Normal is about teen, Alexi, who has her fair share of issues. Issues that are caused by secrets that know one except for herself knows. But that all changes when her neighbor, Bodee “Kool-aid kid”, moves in with her family. The longer they know each other, the more they give each other their trust. And share their secrets. A spark ignites between them and the real truth comes out. 

Faking Normal caused me to be an emotional wreck while reading it. Seriously, I was a sobbing burrito of tears. It hurt to read Alexi’s story, it was so realistic. A teenage girl who doesn’t know who she is anymore because of this disturbing incident. She had this facade she put up in front of people she loved and knew. Alexi to me is what a true heroine is, because at the end, she faced the person who was responsible for her emotional damage and was strong.

The character that I felt really made the main character, Alexi, push for her “freedom” from her secret is our very own Kool-aid Kid, Bodee. He had his issues, his own tragedies, but he still fought to help Alexi overcome her’s. That’s what really touched me. Bodee will always be one of my top favorite characters because of his beautiful personality.

Faking Normal is just an exquisite book, it has its cliche moments but sometimes those moments are what makes the story come alive. Honestly, I haven’t read a book that actually questioned what people’s secrets are. Alexi, this normal girl on the outside who had these heart-breaking secrets, went to school, did activities, had friends. It really made me question my actions on how I will approach people and how everyone should be aware that no one has the perfect life. 

I will give Faking Normal five stars and a place on my favorite books shelf. I would want any book lover to enjoy and savor these three-hundred and thirty-six pages.

Link:

No comments:

Post a Comment