Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Book Review: Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke

Book Description:

"Every story needs a hero.
Every story needs a villain.
Every story needs a secret.

Wink is the odd, mysterious neighbor girl, wild red hair and freckles. Poppy is the blond bully and the beautiful, manipulative high school queen bee. Midnight is the sweet, uncertain boy caught between them. Wink. Poppy. Midnight. Two girls. One boy. Three voices that burst onto the page in short, sharp, bewitching chapters, and spiral swiftly and inexorably toward something terrible or tricky or tremendous.

What really happened?
Someone knows.
Someone is lying." -Goodreads

Book Review: 

Wink Poppy Midnight is about three very different teenagers. There is Wink, the strange girl who speaks in fairy tales. Poppy, the girl who wants to be different, the ruler of everyone. And the one person they have in common, Midnight, the boy next door. Each of them have a role in this story, the hero, the liar, and the villain. All of them create their own twisted, riddle of a story. 

Wink Poppy Midnight is definitely not like other novels, honestly it left me confused. Not only did one of the characters, Wink, spoke in riddles, the entire book did. I’m still deciding if I love it or hate it. The writing style did intrigue me either way, it was like figuring out a story that was waiting to be unfolded. Every sentence was carefully written, sometimes I think too carefully. Like the author was examining everything too closely, as if she was scared to go “out there”.

“For your sake I have braved the glen, and had to do with goblin merchant men. Eat me, drink me, love me. Hero, Wolf, make much of me. With clasping arms and cautioning lips, with tingling cheeks and fingertips, cooing all together.” Wink referred to each character in the story, as a character from one of her fairy tales. That I love. This girl had problems, and her escape was to make life her own story.

I feel like Wink Poppy Midnight could’ve been longer, the last hundred pages were a blur that just left me unsatisfied. I feel like it could easily been a hundred pages bigger. I would recommend this book to patient readers, I feel like I would enjoy it more if I was more patient. I feel there was an equal balance of good and bad in this book. Wink Poppy Midnight is three stars!


Link:
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment