Thursday, June 9, 2016

Book Review: Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Book Description:

"Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.


In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grows dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherworldly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real, she’s prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands", she speaks many languages - not all of them human - and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she’s about to find out.

When beautiful, haunted Akiva fixes fiery eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?" -Goodreads


Book Review:

Daughter of Smoke & Bone is about seventeen-year-old, Karou, who so happens to have all natural blue hair. She is an aspiring artist whose fantasy drawings of her monsters are real. They are the ones who raised Karou. Brimstone is also the one who gives Karou her wishes. When mysterious burns appear on the portal doors, Karou becomes worrisome. Especially when she comes face to face with, Akiva. An angel. Together they will find out who Karou really is. 

Daughter of Smoke & Bone shocked me, in a good way. Honestly, when I read the synopsis I didn’t know if I would get “into” it. Heck yeah, I did! I mean the opening the scene was so awesome! I could totally tell from the beginning that Karou wasn’t gonna take crap from anyone. She is one tough, female main character. An awesome role model if you ask me. I mean I couldn’t hold together when she replied with this, “Musicians who asked questions,” to a noisy street musician when she was carrying a fairly large bag on the ground.

One of the main focuses in the book was the wishes. Karou usually had her own supply of wishes, but just tiny ones. Her wishes were definitely “realistic”, ones that real people would make. I mean it’s pretty rad that she wished for blue hair! Karou’s family is totally unique, extremely unique. Brimstone is the cliche protective, chastising father figure. 

No let's move onto the topic of Akiva. By the description of him in the book, I know that he is a fine piece of male specimen. Cliche alert. Yes, it does go down the road of forbidden love and tunnel of shocking secrets. But, it works. The way the author approached it was subtle and not obnoxious. Which I greatly appreciated. 

Overall Daughter of Smoke & Bone is an awesome read! I would recommend this to any readers interested in fantasy, romance, and a butt-kicking female lead. I would give this book four and a half stars!

Link:

No comments:

Post a Comment